The Green Applebrook
Check out more on donating $2 during each nigh of your stay to help the North Country Hospitality Conservation Network.
We’ve been working on making the inn more environmentally friendly with greater energy conservation since we bought it in 2005. This is one of the many reasons why we can keep our room rates at a reasonable level for your stay.
Here are a few of the things we’ve done:
- Replaced all light bulbs with soft white compact fluorescents
- Compost all organic kitchen waste which is added to Tom’s garden where we grow our fresh herbs for meals. We’ll be doubling the size of our vegetable gardens in 2009
- Added additional insulation to the inn
- Mow the grass at the highest mower setting and do not use chemical lawn treatments
- Each year we let parts of the property stay as grass fields to help wildlife
- Replaced all shower heads with water conserving ones
- We now have organic shampoo, conditioner and soaps in all baths
- Recycle all plastic, glass, paper and cardboard
- Age our firewood at least two years before being used in our woodstove
- Had an energy audit from Public Service New Hampshire
You can leave your water bottles at home for our water is right from our well and tested annually for purity. The water supply system was upgraded with 1200 gallons of additional water storage with a new filter. You can bring empty re-usable bottles and fill up with cold, clean, mountain filtered well water from any tap to use during your stay.
The Applebrook is a great old house and we plan to honor its history as family farm by continuing these efforts and doing more in the future.